Email 487: Conclusive at 3 or 6 Months?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 12:32 PM
Hi pozzie.

Your blog on hiv and hiv testing is really helping a lot of people based on the response from your readers. I myself read it almost everyday to get updates and it really calms my nerves.

I am also thankful to the staff of RITM Malate for their warm and friendly assistance during my test.

Anyway, i got tested at RITM Malate exactly 12 weeks post exposure last June. Fortunately, the result was non-reactive. I just want to ask if this test at 12 weeks is conclusive enough to determine that im indeed hiv-? I will be hitting 24 weeks mark post exposure this august. Do i need to take the test again at 24 weeks?

Thank you and stay healthy!
XXX



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for the kind words about the blog. 

Actually, the 3 months post exposure is already conclusive, however, most of the best doctors in the Philippines still advice for the 6 month- testing (24 weeks). Since you are already on that period, why don't you retake the test. It is a win-win situation. Trust me, it will calm down your nerves. Taking the HIV test at 6 months is recommended as a fool proof and final confirmation and avoid any form of doubts. 

On my part, I advice people to take the HIV test, 3 and 6 months post exposure, then annually. I am giving this advice because HIV test should not be a thing to be scared about. It is better to know your HIV status all the time. How come we include all the other tests during our annual exam, and not the HIV test (and STD tests, for that matter)? My partner Tag takes the HIV Test as part of his annual medical exam and I am so proud of him for doing that. He's always relaxed in taking it and jokes about how the counselling is done.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: