Email 492: Next Steps for A New PLHIV

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:05 PM

Hi Mr. Pozziepinoy,

Ako po si XXX, balikbayan na po ako dito sa Pilipinas since July 27, 2013 after I've been diagnosed in Singapore for HIV Positive.

Unang una po hindi po ako straight & there were times that I had unprotected sex with same.

The medical test is for the renewal of my employment pass for another 2 yrs working with under the same employer. This test was made on May 17, 2013 with a follow up test on May 30, 2013 for confirmation. And lately this July 13, 2013 I did another test thinking that maybe this time it will turn out negative, but still its a positive result.



Halos hindi ko po matanggap yung katotohanan, di ko akalain na mangyayari yung ganito, lalo pa at ako yung inaasahan ng family ko. Ang masakit pa po dun hindi ko napaghandaan yung mga bagay na ganito. Nagwork po ako sa Singapore coz we are financially not stable & I've been there for 3 yrs na hindi ako nakapag ipon dahil mas inuna ko po na mai-settle yung mga utang namin at yung needs ng family ko. Kung kelan I've finally settled those debts & I'm ready to save money for myself saka naman po ko magkakasakit. No choice po ako kundi umuwi ng Pilipinas dahil isa sa policy ng Singapore Government is once you are diagnosed with HIV, you cannot continue to work anymore. 

May konting savings naman po akong nai-save but I know it's not enough for my medication dahil alam ko po na it will cost a lot of money & wala din po ko work at this time dahil kakauwi ko lang. But life must go on, I know that its not too late for me. With the help of God & support from my family, I'll be okay & there's always a hope for me.

Nagsearch po ako ng mga sites na pwedeng lapitan until nakita ko po itong blog nyo at nabasa ko po yung mga posts dun, napakaraming inspirational stories at useful information para sa katulad ko. Gusto ko po sana humingi ng advice nyo kung ano po ung next step na gagawin ko ngayong nasa Pilipinas na ko. I still haven't undergo for further test like CD4 cell count test & HIV viral load test. Baka naman po matutulungan nyo ko na mai-recommend or mabigyan nyo po ko ng referral kung sino yung pwede kong lapitan at pagkatiwalaan. 

Maraming salamat po sa pagbabasa nyo ng e-mail ko & more power po! Godbless you.

TRANSLATION


Hi Mr. Pozziepinoy,

I am XXX, a Filipino who came back to the Philippines since July 23, 2013 after I’ve   been diagnosed in Singapore as HIv Positive.

First nad foremost, I am not straight and there were times that I had unprotected sex with the same sex.

The medical test is for the renewal of my employment pass for another 2 yrs working with under the same employer. This test was made on May 17, 2013 with a follow up test on May 30, 2013 for confirmation. And lately this July 13, 2013 I did another test thinking that maybe this time it will turn out negative, but still its a positive result.

I almost couldn’t accept the truth. I couldn’t believe that this would happen especially that my family relied on me. What was painful was I wasn’t prepared for this. I worked in Singapore because we were not financially stable and I’ve been there for 3 years and I wasn’t able to save because I prioritized settling all our debts first and the needs of my family. When I’ve finally settled those debts and I was ready to save money for myself, then I became sick. I had no choice but to come back home to the Philippines because one of the policies by the Singapore gvernment is once you are diagnosed with HIV, you can’t continue to work there anymore.

I have some savings saved but I know that it is not enough for my medication because I know that it will cost a lot of money and I don’t have work at this time as I just barely came back home. But life must go on, I know that its not too late for me. With the help of God & support from my family, I'll be okay & there's always a hope for me.

I searched for sites that I can turn to until I found your blog and I read the posts there too. There are a lot of inspirational stories and useful information for people like me. I would like to seek for an advice as to the next steps that I need to take now that I am in the Philippines. I still haven't undergone for further test like CD4 cell count test & HIV viral load test. maybe you can help me with a recommendation or you can give me a referral as to who I can approach to and trust.

Thank you very much for reading my email and more power!
God belss you.



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing your story and for finding the blog. I am glad that you are finding useful information here.

I am glad that you are home now, where you can get strength from the people who love you the most. Acceptance is easier when you are surrounded by your family and friends. Acceptance also will help you to take the first steps to your "new journey".

Now let me give you the steps that you have to take.

1. Since you had your HIV test in Singapore, you will need to retake it again here in the Philippines. The reason for this is that the treatment hubs won't accept any HIV tests done in foreign countries as the new PLHIV needs to be registered under DOH.

    a. You can take it in any HIV testing centers nearest you: Check out these links:
       

    b. If you are in Manila area, I would recommend the RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate. You can get 
        the result in just two hours. Just look for Nurse Nicka or Nurse Trisha or any of the counsellors
        there are tell them that pozziepinoy sent you. The staff there are very professional, non judgmental, 
        friendly and accommodating. Check out the map, contacts and directions in the link below:

        RITM Satellite Clinic

2. Once you get a hold of the HIV test result, you can then go to any of the HIV/AIDS Treatment
Hubs near you where you will be interviewed, given a prescription for your baseline tests and CD4
test. Check out the link below:


     a. In each hub, the price of the baseline tests and CD4 will vary. So I suggest that you call the hub 
        hub first.
     b. If you want FREE CD4 test and all baseline tests, you can go to RITM-ARG in Alabang. 
        However, you need to be there before 7am as their CD4 testing is only from 7-8am only on 
        weekdays except Wednesdays. You can check out the link of the clinic below:

        RITM-ARG

3. You will be guided by the HIV doctor in the hub and will tell you the things you need to do. But for reference you can check out my previous blog post:


Some helpful tips for you:

1. HIV Treatment in the Philippines is free. If you have other infections caused by the depression of the immunes system then that is a different matter.
2. Consultation with the HIV doctors are free in all government HIV/AIDs Treatment hubs.
3. Be a member of PhilHealth ASAP. Usually the hubs would require you to furnish them with PhilHealth documents later on.

Since you are a new PLHIV here in the Philippines, please read these past blog entries:

NEXT STEPS



Hope and Positivism




I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: