Email 404: Accuracy of the HIV Test

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 5:10 PM
Hi.

I would like to ask some questions about how accurate the hiv testing in ritm manila. My last sex was april 9, 2013 It was oral sex but i didnt swallow, I got tested at ritm manila last june 17 2013. It was non reactive. Is it enough time for screening to see if i have hiv or not? Im really stressed and i cant calm myself anymore. Im afraid that the result would change after 3months. Thank you. Please reply asap. 

XXX

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing your concern. I understand you being stressed about it as the HIV cases in the Philippines is still increasing.

Like what I always tell my readers and email senders, oral sex is a very low risk for HIV transmission, unless of course, during the time of the oral sex there was a mouth wound or open mouth sores on the receiver's part.

When it comes to your question about the HIV test in RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate, it is very accurate as 2 HIV tests are being conducted on the drawn blood. However, you got tested during the window of 3 months of "possible" HIV exposure and the negative result MAY not be conclusive yet and still may change after 3 months post exposure. However, like what I said, oral sex is very low risk but still is a risk and it is good that you are proactive about your HIV status.

If I were you, just go ahead and take the 2nd HIV test as advised by the counselors there. You are already beyond the 3 month-window period and whatever the result maybe, is already conclusive.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: