Email 509: Will I Be on Cotrimoxazole For Life?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 12:15 PM

good day pozziepinoy! I have a question. Do I really need to take antibiotic (cotrimoxazole) as prophylaxis for lifetime just like ARVs even with a CD4 count beyond 350?

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi.

Thank you for your email.

The cotrimoxazole is a prophylaxis to prevent opportunistic infections. This medicine is prescribed when the CD4 count drops to 250 and below. Usually, PLHIV will be under cotrimoxazole for a period of 6 months, even if his CD4 increases above 250. However, he or she will continue using the medicine if his CD4 has not gone up above 250 even after 6 months.

You will not be on cotrimoxazole for life like ARV's. Just focus on your health and try to boost your immune system so that eventually you will stop taking it.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: